Sunday, June 27, 2010

Winnie the Pooh, and Hunny, too!

This is my 2nd Winnie the Pooh cake, but with a little twist... this Pooh needed to feed more people than a single-layer Pooh could do, so it was stacked on a sheet cake, plus I carved a small smash cake for the birthday boy.

The top layer (Pooh) is all chocolate, and the base sheet cake was French vanilla with strawberry preserves.  The adorable little "Hunny" pot was my first real CARVED cake, so I am quite pleased with how the shape turned out :)  I made the smash cake from scratch, with a little less sugar than normal, and a little heavier texture (more like a pound cake) so that it would stand up to carving, as well as look good in pictures of the birthday boy tearing it up :)  The top of the hunny pot is clear yellow piping gel.



2 comments:

  1. ok my sons birthday is coming up and i wanted to make a hunny pot cake was it hard to carve can you explane how to do it? or was it to hard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started with a deep muffin tin- it's about 3 1/2" deep or so. It was my first carve, so it took a bit of tweaking and messing up before it actually worked. I think I went through 3 mini cakes before I was happy with how it turned out. Ultimately what worked the best was cutting off the "dome" to make it flat, flipping it over to taper the new "bottom", then cutting a flat top from another mini cake and using that as the rim of the honey pot (attaching with buttercream). I iced the top center white so the yellow piping gel would look like honey, and iced the rest blue.

    ReplyDelete